Technologies and Facilities
Mount Meru Flowers uses Richel, the world's leading manufacturer of greenhouses with the following features:
- 7,5 m height at ridge and 5,0 m gutter height for optimum air circulation, temperature and humidity control.
- Large moveable roof vents for the above reasons.
- Sturdy structure capable of withholding large storms.
- Ventilation fans in all greenhouses for continuous air movement, if necessary.
Growing tables and substrate
- Mount Meru Flowers developed open steel tables, thus providing adequate ventilation for the plants.
- High quality Mapal troughs containing an optimum substrate mix of coco peat and murram (volcanic substrate) for best water and nutritional retention, drainage and aeration of the roots.
In African countries some farms can suffer from a shortage of water supply during the dry season or after years of little rainfall. Mount Meru Flowers have built their own water supply system with the highest possible safety and eco-friendly standards ensuring continued water supply.
- 2 Deep boreholes, each with sufficient capacity to provide the whole farm, have been drilled at different depths and different locations. These wells are the normal source of irrigation water until now.
- A water resevoir has been built
- The system was designed by Netafim, a world leader in irrigation design and water conservation.
- The farm is adjacent to a small river.
Only the most advanced and reliable drip irrigation system allowing uniform watering and fertilizer distribution was chosen to be suitable for Mount Meru Flowers. Netafim provided turnkey solutions, which forms an integral part of the farm together with a Priva computer encompassing a climate and fertigation control system.
- Priva monitors climate, temperature, humidity, light in, wind speed outside and inside the greenhouses, water consumption , fertilizer injection and initiates the moveable vents and fertigation application rates accordingly
- Netafim's complete working turnkey system provides not only a reliable fertigation supply, but also a 100% uniform application of water through the drip irrigation system using the compensated Uniram dripper system.
- A secure fertigation solution application is also guaranteed by using the so-called day-tank-solution method based on Dutch grower's experience.
- Not only for economical but also for environmental purposes drain water is recycled and then treated perfectly by BACTOKILL-UV disinfection unit.